Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Chop + Algenist Mini-Review


After eight years of having short hair, I succeeded in growing it two inches past my collarbone. It was in good condition despite my obsessive coloring to cover my grays. The problem was that it simply wasn't me. As much as I love Duchess Catherine's long, glossy curls, they're prissy and high-maintenance in a way I'm not. So began the gradual rise and fall of my hair. 

I started with a lob (long bob to those who don't know the term), and I liked that. It was easy to maintain, and it looked fresher than my previous no-style style. Then the pink hair debacle occurred, which resulted in a shorter crop, documented back in March. It was super cute; I got lots of compliments on it, and it's still one of the best haircuts I've ever had. So cute, in fact, that when I returned to Salon Disegno to Martha's capable hands earlier this month, I was waffling between a simple trim and going for broke. 

There are a lot of misconceptions about women with short hair. They're sometimes perceived as being less feminine than women with long hair -- I was once rudely asked why I wanted "a butch cut" -- but I disagree. And I'm in good company. Halle Berry always goes back to her pixie. Winona Ryder had short hair throughout the 1990s and into the early 2000s, and then there's Audrey Hepburn. Need I say more?

In the end, with the phrase "go big or go home" in mind, I chopped it all off. (Okay, so Martha did. You wouldn't want to see the butchery I'd do to my own hair. Every Barbie I ever restyled had hair like Joan Jett.) With Gatsby-esque flapper styles in mind, Martha worked her magic and somehow created… me. I've been told by every member of my family -- and I agree -- that this is the most me haircut I've had. It's part Carey Mulligan-as-Daisy Buchanan and part Michelle Williams, and it's perfect. It's remarkably easy to style and cut with such precision that even the inevitable morning bedhead (think the unholy lovechild of Wolverine and Don King) can be easily combed into place.  

Martha is always brilliant at what she does, but she completely outdid herself this time. All the damage has been cut away, and if I ever decide I do want to grow it out, it will have a clean slate. I can't see that happening soon, though. The next time I pop in for a visit, I will be getting just a trim. 



Tada! There you have it, my adorable new crop and my… bright red, sunburned face, which brings me to my next topic. I was testing a sample of Algenist's Regenerative Anti-Aging Moisturizer SPF 20. With a retail value of $90 a jar, I had high hopes for the product. I'm diligent in my sunscreen use, so I know I applied it properly. In the amount of time it took for me to walk from the car to the salon and back out again, I burned. I was outside for a grand total of ten minutes, and the result equivalent to standing outside for an hour in my usual sunscreen.  I can buy eight tubes of Neutrogena SPF 110 sunblock for the cost of one jar of Algenist's failure. Thanks for the sample, but no thanks. Has anyone tried anything else in Algenist's range with success?

1 comment:

  1. That really thins out your face in a good way, and you know I'm a fan of the more orange reds on you. Man, I didn't think I'd ever meet someone who burned more than me. Would you like a medal?

    ReplyDelete