Friday, August 30, 2013

August Hits and Hell Noes


Since I've started blogging, I've tried to start my existing monthly favorites on a high note. Alas, August has, quite sadly, been a bad month for me in the realm of beauty and skincare. I typically research everything before trying it, but I suffered from a case of "ooh, new and shiny! I should try it!" Big mistake. Lesson learned. And then there was another epic fail from (I thought) an unlikely source. Doesn't it suck when products you love betray you? Without further adieu, let's crack on with the Hell Noes first so I can at least end the month on a positive note.

RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Serum: Now, I don't have deep wrinkles, but I've had a lot of sun damage from failed teenage attempts at tanning and nonexistent sunscreen use until my twenties, so I'm trying to prevent the damage from creeping up on me. I've used RoC's products in the past and was just finishing up a sample of a Ren retinol serum, so I decided to try it. It smelled lovely, which should have been my first warning, and it stung very minimally for a retinol serum. The next morning, I was absolutely covered in cystic acne, the skin around my nose had peeled, and my face itched like crazy. I hate wasting money, but I wouldn't wish that violent a reaction on anyone, so the bottle immediately went into the trash. Never again. 

L'Oréal Infallible Eyeshadow in Sultry Smoke: The Infallible line is designed to be long-wearing, and I'd heard they were a good dupe for the much-blogged-about Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill range. I applied my normal Milani primer, let it set, put on my new eyeshadow, applauded myself on creating the perfect smokey eye in two minutes, and went to lunch with my mom and uncle. We'd been out for maybe an hour when I popped into the bathroom to see… nothing but a few faint, gray smudges in the creases of my eyes. In an hour, the eyeshadow had literally vanished. I don't know if that shade is wonky or if it's the whole range, but I don't plan to waste my money finding out.

Dial Yogurt Vanilla Honey Nourishing Body Wash: I'd just finished off a Suave Naturals in Milk and Honey and couldn't find it again, so I shrugged, figured this couldn't be vastly different, and came home. Wrong. You know the smell of Dial liquid hand soap? This smelled exactly like that tinged with sour milk and man-sweat. And I don't mean the guys who somehow smell absurdly good after a five hour run. I mean nasty, "go bathe or I will hose you in the back yard like a smelly dog" sweat. Even if I could overlook the smell, it left a strange film on my skin after the shower that was the opposite of nourishing. I'm not a shower-in-three-minutes gal, either, so I know I washed it off. Hell no, Dial. Just… Hell no. 

Revlon Photoready BB Cream: Yes, you read that right. The very product I raved about last month is on my Do Not Want list. When I first purchased it, I was having a dry skin phase due to prolonged illness and sleep deprivation. Now that my skin's gone back to being oily, this stuff breaks me out like a bitch. After my RoC incident, I attributed the pimples to a prolonged reaction, but I used it the first of August and was still breaking out the twenty-first (the last day I used the BB cream.) Since I've stopped using it, despite having my… ahem… monthly visitor, my skin has cleared up considerably, and that's the only change I've made to my makeup and skincare routine. Dry-skinned ladies, you will love this stuff, but if your skin is remotely oily, no bueno. 

And now for the products I did like. I swear I'm not totally negative!

La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo: This is the stuff I used to combat my monster break-outs. I've almost finished the tube up, and I'm definitely going to be buying it again. It's something of a cult product, so doing a full review on it is pointless by now. The gist of it is that it's a combination of benzoyl peroxide to treat acne and LHA to gently exfoliate the skin. Its hype is well-deserved. This product helps when nothing else will.

Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair: I use this every single night without fail. It helps clear up those pesky red spots zits leave behind in a couple of weeks instead of a couple of months, and it improves general clarity of the skin. It's expensive as all Hell, yes, but because you literally use a pea-sized amount for your entire face, it lasts forever. I've had mine for six months and have only gotten through a quarter of the smallest size they offer, so it's good value for money. 

Nivea Olive Oil and Lemon Balm: I ran out of my Fresh lip balm sample and, even though I loved it, I wasn't prepared to drop that much money on a lip balm, so I grabbed this little guy at CVS. It's amazing. Olive oil is one of the most brilliant things ever. I keep it in my nightstand drawer and slather it on before bed, and my lips are still hydrated when I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment