Saturday, August 17, 2013

Battle #1: Mattifying Powders




In your left corner, you have Rimmel's Stay Matte Powder in Translucent. Raved about by bloggers and vloggers alike, this contender is widely available and wallet-friendly. It claims to keep skin (with or without makeup) shine-free for five hours. While it claims to be translucent, it has a very slight amount of color to the powder, but it offers no real coverage.

In your right corner, the new kid in town, Urban Decay's De-Slick Mattifying Powder. It comes in in solid packaging with a hefty price tag to match. Saleswomen at both my local Ulta and Sephora stores claim it's the best of the very best when it comes to keeping the skin matte. It has a faint purplish-white color that doesn't translate to the skin.

Round One: Fight! (Yes, I ripped off Mortal Kombat. Kudos if you caught the reference right away.)

I checked my local forecast to ensure I was going to be testing the two on days with almost-identical conditions, and then I went to work. My dewiest foundation is my Revlon BB Cream, which I usually have to blot within an hour to keep from looking shiny (this is my only complaint about the product), so I decided it would put both products to the test in the best way. I applied the BB cream as usual, gave it a few minutes to sink in, and dusted my face with Rimmel's Stay Matte. Instant matte finish. I was pleased. 

The first hour rolled around. No shine. Hour two, nothing. By the third hour, I noticed a sheen on my forehead and down the center of my nose where I get oiliest. Did it keep me shine-free for five hours? No, but it bought me an extra two hours, and when the shine did come through, it looked more glowy and less greasy. I'll try it with my other foundations to see how I get on with it, but all things considered, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. 

Round Two: Fight!

On Friday, it was Revlon BB Cream vs. Urban Decay De-Slick. Aside from a few eyeliners I adore and an eyeshadow primer I loathed and threw out, I don't actually own many UD products, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I slapped on my BB cream and powdered my face, and then in the rush of grocery shopping, doing laundry, feeding animals, work, and a massive migraine, I forgot to check my makeup. 

Imagine my surprise when I went to the mirror five hours after applying my makeup and found only the tiniest bit of shimmer on my nose and cheekbones. It looked like I'd applied highlighter instead of like I had oily skin. Urban Decay's powder gets a solid 10 out of 10 from me, and I will definitely be looking into more of their products. They seem a bit pricy initially -- $32 for a powder, really? -- but you pay for quality, and that's exactly what they provide.

In other news, I managed to annoy into submission convince my friend Trista to get a blog, so check her out!

1 comment:

  1. Helllooooooo Hi M! :) Love your blog thus far. Too funny! I can't wait for your Intimacy post! :)

    ReplyDelete