Thursday, October 31, 2013

October Hits and Hell Noes



The Balm Hot Mama! Highlighting Powder, Eyeshadow, and Blush*: As someone with an almost perpetual flush, I’m not usually a blush wearer, so I was surprised by how much I love this product. My aunt gave it to me while we were rooting around in her makeup drawer, and I mostly took it because I felt sorry for the little, brightly colored package, unused and unloved. It says it’s an all over color, so I thought I would probably use it as a deep, rose gold eyeshadow. It looks gorgeous on the eyes, but one day I came down with a nasty cold. Worse, I had to go out in public while ill. Rather than look like I was near death, I popped this on, and it’s awesome. It has a very faint shimmer, but it’s not glittery, and it doesn’t make me look overly made up. This is the first blush I’ve ever habitually reached for, and I think it’s made a blush wearer out of me. 

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer: Once fall rolls around, my skin goes from combination oily to combination dry, so I set aside the mattifying foundations and go back to my old faithful tinted moisturizer. I’d forgotten how much I love this stuff. It’s oil free, so it doesn’t add too much moisture, and it has an SPF of 20, perfect when the skies are a deep, dark gray.

L’Oréal Project Runway Collection Watchful Owl’s Pout: Erm… so I bought this when it originally came out back in 2011 because… I’m obsessed with owls. There, I admit it. I can’t the first gal to buy something because of a name. I found it the other day, tore off the plastic wrapping, and discovered it was a stunning burgundy, which is very on trend this year. The color is beautiful, the formula is rich and creamy, and the lasting power matches that of high-end lipsticks. Well done, L’Oréal! Too bad it was limited edition, but I found a place where you can still buy it! Just follow the link. :)

Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream*: As much as I carry on about sunscreen, sometimes I forget about it. As in, I forget where I placed the bottle. Thankfully, I had a sample on hand, slathered it on before my tinted moisturizer — because when you are the pastiest of the pasty, SPF 20 doesn’t cut it on sunny days — and fell in love. When I kill off my current sunscreen, I might get this one. It doesn’t leave a white cast (not that it would be detectable on my skin anyway), and it doesn’t make me oily or break out.

Laura Geller Waterproof Eyeliner*: Another acquisition from my aunt’s stash that I don’t know how I’ve lived without. The color bone is perfect to use in the waterline when my eyes are so red I look like I haven’t slept in a week, and because it’s waterproof, it actually lasts on me, which most eyeliners fail to do.  

Michael Jackson's Thriller: I love me some MJ, no lie, but I listen to him more during October because Halloween and Thriller have gone hand in hand for me since childhood. They're like cozy sweaters and pumpkin spice lattes; they just belong together. 

Shockingly, I don't have any hell noes this month aside from the nasty cold I had earlier on. Happy Halloween, everyone!

1 comment: