Wednesday, March 5, 2014

February Hits and Hell Noes

February was a pretty big month for me, what with it being my birthday. It was also the month when I finally got my ass in gear and reached a pretty big decision concerning the direction my life will take. So it’s probably going to be surprising that my Hits list for this month is extremely pared down, and I think one or two of the products have been on other Hits lists. Oops? I like what I like!



1.) MAC Pro-Longwear Paint Pot in Painterly: Have I bitched often enough about my oily eyelids yet? Tough, ‘cause here I go again. Even when I have dry flakes all over my face, my lids look like disco balls. It’s gross. This is one of the most hyped products MAC has to offer, and now that I have it (I found it for $7.50 on Amazon!), I totally understand why. I’m gonna be honest; it did not keep my eyeshadow crease-proof for eight hours. But I have partially hooded eyes, so that’s just not in the cards for me. It did keep the color bright in spite of the creasing as well as concealed my creepy, bright blue veins as no other primer ever has. It’s well worth the normal cost ($20) since it’s going to last forever, and it was a total steal at under $8. Seriously, go check on Amazon. I’ll wait. 

2.) Clarisonic Acne Daily Clarifying Cleanser: I had my, you know, monthly guest during my birthday week (figures), so I was a hot mess of pimples, shiny skin, and had a general pallor of yuck going on. This cleanser helped to combat the breakouts without causing any rosacea breakouts. That’s always a win-win situation. I’m breaking out yet again (dear God, why?!), so I’ve retrieved this baby from my stash and put it back to work. I’m already seeing improvements. 

3.) Maybelline Volum'Express The Rocket Mascara: Okay, Maybelline, let’s be frank. Did your R&D team sell their souls to the Devil for the ability to create one kick-ass mascara after another? Because it’s like every formula I try, I love more than the one before it. It’s blacker than coal, lengthens and adds volume, all without being clumpy, spidery, or flakey. I highly recommend this to everyone.

4.) Laura Geller Love Me Dew in Watermelon Cooler*: This is essentially a tinted lip balm for grown-ups. It applies smoothly, and because it is so moisturizing, the color payoff is a very sheer version of the hot coraly-pink at the end of the tube. For a moisturizing lip product, it’s surprisingly long lasting. After I finished my coffee the other day, the sheen had worn off, leaving a semi-matte stain behind. I have three colors, but Watermelon Cooler is the one I reach for most often. It’s just the prettiest color that would look good on anyone.

5.) MAC All That Glitters Eyeshadow*: I’ve become unbelievably lazy with my makeup, so my go-to eye look is just a sweep of a single color, occasionally eyeliner, mascara, and that’s that. All That Glitters is a soft golden shade filled with, well, glitter. But don’t shudder and pass it up without trying it! It’s the softest glittery formula known to mankind. It translates as a warm, subtle sparkle rather than making you look like Edward Cullen in the midday sun.



6.) Burberry Beauty Lip Cover in Tulip Pink*: I am 99.999% sure I’ve babbled incoherently about my love for this lipstick at least once before, but I’ve been wearing it a lot (again) during all of February and the first few days of March. If I haven’t been wearing the Laura Geller, I’ve been wearing this. Sometimes I’ll rotate them out in the same day. It’s the most perfect pinky nude, which is almost impossible to find when you’re as fair as I am. It’s non-drying, lasts pretty well (I have to reapply after eating, but that’s most lipsticks), and never cakes or settles into dry patches.

And now… the Hell Noes!

1.) Ms. Manicure Nail Clippers: Words cannot express how pissed off I am at these little bitches. I’d managed to get some length on my nails. They were healthy. They weren’t splitting. I actually had to trim them because they were interfering with my iPhone use. #firstworldproblems I went to trim the first nail, and the clippers somehow managed to splinter it down to the quick, meaning I had to cut the rest off to avoid looking like an idiot with one stub and nine longish nails. Never buy these. If you find them in your bathroom, kill them with fire!


2.) Bare Escentuals Big Tease Mascara*: This one was a hard call. I couldn’t decide whether it was a Hit or a Hell No because it did work. It lengthened my lashes and made them extremely black. It looked beautiful on and didn’t flake. The problem is the wand. Because of the way the bristles are spaced, all in a column on one side of the brush, it took me close to ten minutes to apply mascara. That’s how long it takes me to do my makeup from start to finish! I just don’t have time for that every day. So that’s a no from me. I don’t want it to die in a fire, but it’s just impractical.

2 comments:

  1. I am actually looking for a new lip colour and after reading this I think I'll give the Burberry Beauty Lip Cover a try. I've been wearing reds for so long and I feel like a change for spring!

    http://www.knickerbloggerglory.eu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go for it! It's an amazing color/formula/packaging/everything. And it would look gorgeous on you.

    ReplyDelete