Wednesday, May 7, 2014

April (Non-Beauty) Favorites


1.) Suja Master Cleanse: The cleanse craze has been going on for quite some time now, but I’ve never been interested until my friend Zach, who is literally the healthiest person I know, recommended I give the Suja Master Cleanse a try. It’s the lemon juice, cayenne, and maple syrup one. I replaced breakfast and lunch with a bottle of this (along with copious amounts of water) and ate fibrous vegetables for dinner. Anyway, the cleanse. It tastes delicious, like slightly spicy lemonade, and even though it’s not a listed benefit, it actually prevented the headache I woke up with from becoming a fully-fledged migraine. I also had a few under the skin blemishes that never surfaced, and I’m wondering if this helped those, too. I will definitely do a cleanse once a week. What can it hurt?

2.) Quaker Popped Apple Cinnamon: If you are what you eat, then I am an apple cinnamon rice cake. These are one of my all-time favorite snacks. I could sit there and eat half the bag. Which would be fine considering you can eat thirteen rice cakes for a little over a hundred calories. They’re crunchy, sweet, and addictive. Plus? They have ten grams of whole grains. What more can you ask for in a snack?

3.) Jim Cramer’s Mad Money: Watch TV, Get Rich: Remember how I said there would be nerdiness in my non-beauty favorites? Here it comes. I’m learning about investing, and this was one of the books I was given to read. I’ve read William O’Neil’s investing mainstay, and it was informative, but I definitely prefer Cramer’s style. There’s a warmth to his writing that makes you feel more like you’re watching an episode of Mad Money (okay, minus the interjections of “booyah!”) that makes a complicated subject much easier to understand. I definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in learning to invest — or anyone who just wants to understand what the bejesus is going on in the financial world.

4.) The Mammoth Book of Perfect Crimes and Impossible Mysteries: Ahem. This will appeal to a much narrower audience than my normal favorites, but I love it. As a former criminology student, this kind of thing is right up my alley. I have no idea where you can find this book in the US. I’ve never seen it before. (Amazon? eBay?) My first encounter with it was when my friend Dom said, “I found something you need at a used bookshop. It’s on the way.” Two weeks later, I tore into a box and found this lovely gem. The cases are so interesting, and as someone who has a James Patterson novel figured out by chapter one, I was delighted to discover quite a few challenges within these pages. 

5.) Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD: I am a nerd. I’m that chick who wants into a comic store, hears grumbling about “fake nerd girls,” and promptly shuts the critics down with my knowledge of nerdy books, movies, comics, and TV shows. I will curse the naysayers in Elvish, Vulcan, and Klingon and walk away smiling. So, yeah, I’m a huge Marvel fan, and I love Agents of SHIELD. It started off a little slow, but the actors have really figured out their characters, and the recent plot twists have me scratching my head and asking, “WTF?” in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment