Thursday, June 5, 2014

Ely's

I can be a finicky eater (“big surprise!” said no one in my family ever), and once I have it firmly cemented in my mind that I hate a certain food, I’m loath to try it again. Until last night, tuna was one such food. 

I’ve tried it a few times and have always found it much to beefy for my taste. Even when I ate burgers, I despised steak, so a fish that was like steak was a big no in my book.

Enter Ely’s. 


Ely’s is one of the best restaurants I have ever visited, and I have had the pleasure of dining at some of New York City’s finest establishments. I should have known that if ever I would try tuna and enjoy it, it would be at Ely’s. I ordered “Eggplant Ely’s,” eggplant medallions topped with crabmeat (something else I used to dislike), and my uncle ordered the tuna. It looked… like tuna. Not appetizing, or so I thought.

After much coaxing from my aunt and uncle, I tried a bite. Either my tastebuds have done a 180, or every single time I’ve tried tuna, it’s been manky. My bet is the former because the few times I’ve tried it, everyone else was raving about it. 


So there you have it. I’m a convert. Who knew? I know one thing — my next meat at Ely’s will be tuna. 

What foods have you discovered you love after thinking they were gross?

M

No comments:

Post a Comment