Tuesday, June 24, 2014

June Non-Beauty Favorites

In spite of being the month of death and shitty internet, June has also been the month of good TV and movies. I’m actually a few days early with my favorites this month, go me!


1.) iPhone 5S/AT&T: No matter what T-Mobile’s head honcho has to say about AT&T, they truly saved my ass this month. I wouldn’t have been able to do half of my work if not for my iPhone’s nifty ability to serve as a wifi hotspot for my laptop while the internet was down. The connection wasn’t uber-fast, but it never dropped, not even during a storm. I was impressed. 


2.) The Bridge: My uncle and I missed this show the first time around, finally sat down to watch it, and got hooked. Anyone who wrote Diane Kruger off as just a pretty face has got to watch it. It’s intricately plotted, gritty, and wonderfully written. We’re halfway through the first season now, and I don’t know who the killer is for sure. Anyone who knows me will know what an impossible task it is for a mystery to retain suspense for me, and this has. I’m looking forward to season two!

 

3.) Game of Thrones: “You know nothing, Jon Snow.” (Cue incoherent babbling and sniffling). How do you like your lion now, Shae? How do you like your lion now?! Ahem. That out of the way, wow. This past season has been intense. I thought it was going to be hard to come close to the Red Wedding in terms of tugging at my heartstrings, but several episodes have really done it. And now the wait begins…


4.) Maleficent: I will preface by saying that, yes, it was predictable. I still thought it was a beautiful movie. It made me happy at a time when I was feeling a little low. Despite the predictable ending, it had rich, likable characters, and there was one scene where Angelina Jolie broke my heart into little pieces. It isn’t a masterpiece, but it’s a good movie, and she does a fantastic job. 


5.) X-Men: Days of Future Past: How many of you immediately started singing Time In a Bottle? Show of hands. I enjoyed First Class, but I entered DoFP not really knowing whether I would like it or not, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. Like any fan of the comics, I had a few quibbles with certain things, but overall, it was really good. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender play off of each other brilliantly, and Hugh Jackman made me care about Wolverine again. (It’s not personal. They’ve just over-saturated the X-Men world with Wolverine, and I’d like other characters to get some attention). Go see it! 



6.) FIFI World Cup: Ow, ow, ow, ow. Ouch! I almost listed this as a Hell No because England was utterly destroyed… again. Don’t even call me unpatriotic for not rooting for the USA. Donovan’s antics turned me against the team, and even with him out of the picture, I still have a sour taste in my mouth. I guess I’ll heed Derek’s advice and root for Germany. Still fun to watch, but ow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment