Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Bangarang!


I never considered Robin Williams one of my favorite actors. He appeared in many of my favorite films — Hook, Mrs. Doubtfire, Aladdin, Dead Poets Society, Insomnia, Patch Adams — but when asked for a list of my favorites, he never featured. 

To me, he was never Robin Williams when he was working. He was Mrs. Doubtfire. He was Genie. He was Patch. Robin Williams was another entity. He was the man who struggled with addiction and health problems but was always there for his loved ones. The avid gamer who named his daughter Zelda. The gentleman who approached his fans before they could approach him with a smile and a handshake. The source of endless warmth who introduced himself to Redditors during his AMA (ask me anything) by saying “you grew up with me.” 

We did, and we will never forget that.

It’s heartbreaking that a man who made everyone feel welcome and dedicated his life to making people laugh suffered so much in his private life. There are no words anyone to say that will ease his family and friends’ pain. If those words exist, I’m sure they’ll be found in their memories of Robin. 

Depression affects everyone. It can take root in the hearts of the wealthy as well as the poor, in people with families as well as those who are alone. If you’re suffering from depression, please talk to someone. There are free, anonymous resources online if you don’t have anyone else to talk to. 

I guess I’ll close this the only way I can. It’s fitting, I think.

“Thank you for gracing my life with your lovely presence, for adding the sweet measure of your soul to my existence.” Richard Matheson, What Dreams May Come


4 comments:

  1. He was and always will be one of my "all time favorite" actors. Just as you are and always will be one of two of my "all time favorite" nieces. Thank you for this beautifully written tribute. Now he is making your Granny laugh again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) Robin and Gran... you KNOW they're having a blast together. That's a happy thought.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful tribute. I suffer from clinical depression as well. I hope his tragic death will help someone in the depths of despair to reach out for help. RIP Robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've some combination of depression/OCD/anxiety since my early teens. I really hope it becomes less taboo so people don't feel too ashamed to seek help.

      Delete