Monday, August 4, 2014

July Non-Beauty Favorites

As I mentioned before, July was a horrible month for me, so I don’t even have many non-beauty favorites. The few things I did love, I really adored.


The Tale of Onora: The Boy and the Peddler of Death by Dylan Saccoccio: In the interest of full disclosure, the author and I follow each other on Twitter, and Dylan is a sweet, generous person. That being said, I am not being paid to endorse the book. I bought it with my own money, and I wouldn’t have mentioned it if I didn’t love it. That out of the way, I really did love this book and am eager to read book two. It’s a light, easy read full of fantasy, engaging plot twists, and likable characters. It’s been described as Harry Potter for adults, and while I can see making that comparison, this is not a Harry Potter rip-off. It’s its own rich, unique world, and I definitely recommend it to all you fantasy fans out there.


The Strain: The tagline for the show when they were first running the adds was “vampires just got scary again.” Truer words were never spoken. The Strain is genuinely creepy, fast-paced, and has just enough dark humor to keep it from becoming too heavy. The characters are complex and well-rounded — our “hero” is not exactly the nicest guy in the world, is he? — and the cinematography is impressive. For everyone who was offended by Edward Cullen glittering in the sun, this one’s for you.


The Bridge: We’re officially caught up on season one, and all I can say is wow. I’m that obnoxious person who lets out an annoyed huff twenty minutes into a “thriller” because I’ve figured out who the killer is. Not the case here. The big reveal was a shock, and so were the last few episodes of the season. This is honestly one of the most impressive shows I’ve ever watched. The writing, the acting, everything. FX is really impressing me lately. I guess the channel should be a favorite. I’m about to start season two, so we’ll see. 

What have you been loving lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment