Thursday, August 28, 2014

L'Oréal RevitaFAIL

I’m obsessed with sunscreen the way most women are obsessed with foundation. I wear sunscreen every single day, rain or shine, and usually very little else. It’s not because I think I’m oh-so-lovely without makeup, either. It’s just laziness. I would rather sleep five more minutes than put on makeup. I know, I know. It’s awful. 


But I digress. Sunscreen. I’m thirty-one, though I’m often mistaken for a decade younger (because of the sunscreen usage!), and I would like to stay that way. That in mind, I decided to give a sunscreen containing retinol a go. (Yes, you can wear retinol during the day. The raw ingredient itself degrades when exposed to sunlight, but it does not harm the skin or increase sun sensitivity!)


I saw L’Oréal Revitalift Complete Day Lotion SPF 30 on sale (gee, wonder why!) and grabbed it. I’ve heard great things about the line, and I figured it would be a great SPF for cloudy days.

While I stand by the idea behind this product, it did not quite go as planned. And when I say “not quite,” I mean my face turned into a blotchy, red mess, and it stung. I don’t know if I reacted to the fragrance added or one of the many, many, many other ingredients. I do know that this will be passed on to my adopted sister, whose skin is much less sensitive than mine.


Just… check out the blotches and redness. (And pardon the gray roots...) My poor face is still recovering. If you have any sensitivity to fragrance in products, if sunscreens break you out, or if you generally have easily-aggravated skin, I would pass this one up. 


2 comments:

  1. Ah, that's such a shame it didn't work out! I'm exactly the same with sunscreen, although I do wear makeup with it, so I'm always on the lookout for ones that's aren't too thick and gloopy... My skin isn't very sensitive, though, so I might see if I can find a sample of this somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might work well for you! The Revitalift range is one everybody else seems to love. It just ate my skin alive, but honestly, Cetaphil does that, and it's supposed to be super-gentle.

    ReplyDelete