Monday, August 4, 2014

Product Fail: Andalou Naturals Oil Control Beauty Balm

I usually save my most disliked products for my favorites/fails posts, but this particular tube of sludge was such a disappointment I felt it deserved its own post. A word to brands out there: if your product sucks so much it warrants a spotlight post in which I bang on about how much it sucks? You fail, I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. 

Ahem. Shall we?

Flash back to late June. It’s hot and humid in Mississippi, but not overly sunny while I’m cruising Whole Foods, and I’m in need of a new sunscreen for cloudy days so I don’t use up my higher SPF too quickly. 


I spot an adorable tube on the shelf, and it sounds amazing! “Andalou Naturals with fruit stem cells. I should try to use more natural products,” I think. Best of all, it promises oil control. I don’t believe in stripping the skin of oils — that creates a rebound effect and causes overprotection of oil — but I do use mattifying products to keep the shine at bay. This sounds right up my street.


I happily plunk down my money and plan to pack this sunscreen for my trip to Atlanta. I try it the morning we leave (it feels sticky and drags on the skin, but I’ve had other sunscreens do that, so I don’t think anything of it) and toss it in my makeup bag. I figure with as little time as I spend outside, SPF 30 should be fine, so it’s the only sunscreen I take with me. 

This is a mistake. 

Not even an hour after I’ve applied the supposedly mattifying BB cream, my face is a hot mess. I look like I’ve been sprayed with the glycerin used for fake sweat in movies and TV. I use blotting papers. An hour later, I’m an oil slick again. The cycle continues.

And, I feel this bears repeating, this is the only damn sunscreen I have with me on the trip

Basically, what I’m saying is that Andalou Naturals must have asked their Z Team to create this miserable tube of glue-like, oily yuck

I hate wasting money, so I’ll save this for winter when my skin is dry and needs to feel oilier. Only knowing how absolutely horrendous this stuff was, it will only mattify during the cooler months. We’ll see. In the meantime, I won’t be swayed by Andalou Naturals’ pretty packaging or fruit stems cells ever again.

The only good things I can say about this creamy crap-fest are that it did not break me out, and it actually provided sun protection. 

Rating: 2/10, would not buy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment