Friday, August 15, 2014

Restaurant Review: Biaggi's

Yesterday my mom and I popped into Biaggi’s for soup (me) and salad (her), expecting the usual — great food, great atmosphere, great service. We got one out of three. 

Let me start off by saying there were no other tables in the room where we were. It was me, my mom, and the servers bustling around. So it was a bit strange when the hostess sat a grandmother and a five year old girl in the booth that butted up against ours. 

I figured, “How bad could it be? She’s old enough to know how to behave.” Oh, how wrong I was. She babbled incessantly, alternating between actual words and nonsensical strings of “ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba” and “woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo” not quite at the top of her lungs, but just a little below that level.

She kicked the back of my mom’s seat, danced in her booth, kept sticking her head over the booth, and her grandmother said absolutely nothing despite undoubtedly hearing us remark on her behavior. As someone who suffers from frequent, sound-triggered migraines, I despise loud children. I don’t want to be around them, and a nicer restaurant is certainly not the place for them. My mom has much more patience, so when she was angry enough to go complain to the hostess, you know things are bad. 

The hostess said in a snotty tone, “Well, we can’t do anything about children.” My mother remarked that they could have been seated at any of the empty tables instead of directly on top of us, and she rolled her eyes. Charming.

When the demon from hell began to chant “ba-ba-ba-ba-ba,” this time reaching full volume, our waiter finally scrambled to move us... a whopping five minutes before they left. Thank God.


My tomato soup was wonderful, so there is that. But when faced with the prospect of dealing with inconsiderate staff who value not having to clean an extra table over their customers' satisfaction? I think I’ll be finding somewhere else to have tomato soup.

Get your act together, Biaggi's. When you have plenty of space, do not seat a small child next to other customers. And tell your staff that snapping at customers and rolling their eyes at them? Yeah, not the way to keep them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment