Monday, October 20, 2014

Trust Me On The Sunscreen


In case it’s escaped anyone’s notice, I am a super-pale gal of Celtic descent. That means, come rain or shine, I do not leave the house without my sunscreen on. It’s something my aunt has drilled into my head since my teens. (That and eye cream, which I will probably talk about at some point).

Like many of you, I also have acne-prone/sensitive skin. I can’t just say, “Oh, a new sunscreen. This will work!” It’s more like playing Russian Roulette with my face. Sometimes it pays off. Sometimes… Well, I’ve ranted about that before

Fortunately, I’ve found a few sunscreens that work and don’t cause breakouts. 


1.) Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++: This has been my everyday sunscreen since I first purchased it barring a few days when it was dark and gray, and then I switched to something lighter. It’s a bit heavier than I usually prefer and leaves a slightly dewy finish, but some powder takes care of that, and it’s worth having the higher SPF and dealing with being a little bit shiny. 


2.) La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF 60 Paraben-Free Facial Sunscreen Fluid: What’s with the long names for these products, guys? I don’t even know. This stuff was a dream to apply, and once I run out of my Shiseido sunscreen, I’m going to repurchase this one. It’s one of the only two sunscreens I’ve ever used that actually dries down to a matte finish without having to slap on a layer of powder. I’ve recommended it to several people, and they all agree that it’s completely non-breakout-causing.


3.) MDSolarSciences Mineral Cream SPF 50 Broad Spectrum UVA-UVB: Again with the names. Ahem. The second of the matte finish sunscreens, this is thicker and definitely a traditional cream rather than the liquidy La Roche-Posay. It has no scent despite its thickness, and I never found it to be drying even in the dead of winter. 


4.)  Andalou Naturals Oil Control Beauty Balm Untinted SPF 30: Yes, this is the same product I trash-talked not too terribly long ago, and I stand by everything I said at the time. When it’s hot out, it melts from my face and leaves me disgustingly oily. However, now that the temperatures are dropping and I’m less of an oil slick, it works quite well on cloudy days. I’d still consider this a better choice for someone with drier skin, though. 

What’s your go-to sunscreen?


No comments:

Post a Comment