Friday, November 7, 2014

Bombay Bicycle Club: So Long, See You Tomorrow (Album Review)


I discovered Bombay Bicycle Club thanks to Kate, and I'm so glad I took her advice. They didn't sound like my usual genre at first. "Bollywood-infused indie rock electronica? What? Guys, seriously, pick a genre!" But I gave the album a listen, and after the initial "WTF is this?" wore off, I really, really loved it. 

Singer-songwriter Jack Steadman (who also produced the album) has a very sweet voice. By that, I don't mean saccharine. I mean that he sounds kind. I don't know anything about the guy personally, but I like to imagine it's true. 

I first heard So Long, See You Tomorrow when my mother was suffering from a then-undiagnosed illness and going in and out of the hospital, and I was still mourning the death of my sweet doggie. In short, this album came into my life when all I wanted to do was curl into a little ball and never leave the house again. 

I'm not saying that a London-based indie-electronica band is a good substitute for an antidepressant. I am saying that their music made things seem less bleak. Music has always had a tremendous impact on my life. One of my earliest memories is of sitting in bed, wearing a lilac sweatsuit, watching the music video of Paul McCartney's Pipes Of Peace. (Totally dating myself there, but whatever...) 

My favorite tracks are Luna, Come To, and Feel, but I think the album sounds best when it's played all the way through. Give them a chance, especially if you feel down in the dumps! 


No comments:

Post a Comment